UPMC Eye Center’s mission is to improve quality of life through the preservation and restoration of vision.
The vision of UPMC Eye Center is to:
- Be a leader in the delivery of eye care
- Advance the frontiers of eye research
- Educate the next and current generations in the fundamentals and state of the art in eye health, disease and treatment
- Bring innovations in science and technology from the laboratory to our patients
We achieve these goals in a number of ways:
- Clinical patient care—UPMC Eye Center is rated among the top 10 Ophthalmology programs in the United States in the delivery of patient care. We value excellent quality care combined with outstanding service. We value and personalize care to each individual patient.
- Research—UPMC Eye Center, the Department of Ophthalmology of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, has one of the top basic and clinical research programs in the country. Ranked 8th last year in National Eye Institute funding, UPMC Eye Center’s research focuses on ocular immunology, infectious disease, molecular genetics and molecular biology of retinal disease, glaucoma and advanced diagnostic imaging technology development.
- Teaching—UPMC Eye Center has an outstanding teaching program, training six residents per year in a three year program. Graduates have gone on to clinical, research and combined clinician-scientist careers. UPMC Eye Center is also at the forefront of continuing medical education, and provides both ongoing and specialized educational opportunities.
Message from the Chairman:
In accepting the positions of Chairman of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Department of Ophthalmology and director of the UPMC Eye Center, I have discovered that one of the most exciting aspects is the opportunity to interact across the entire spectrum of the field. In a typical week, I have the opportunity to work with students, residents, fellows, faculty, the community, and the population at large. Each of these groups' needs defines the purpose of the UPMC Eye Center and its mission.
As Chairman, driving new developments and striving for excellence in patient care, research and teaching are my top priorities.
UPMC Eye Center is rated among the top ophthalmology programs in the United States in the delivery of patient care. Our most fundamental function is to serve the community through patient care. As we see patients daily by referral, our primary goal is to offer them quality care and provide needed information to the referring doctors as soon as possible so that patients may return to their care.
We continue to expand our subspecialty areas by adding new faculty and positions, leading to a higher quality of oveall care.
The Department of Ophthalmology recently ranked eighth in the country for National Institutes of Health funding for departments of ophthalmology and has one of the top basic and clinical research programs in the country. Research focuses on ocular immunology, infectious disease, molecular genetics, molecular biology of retinal disease and glaucoma, and advanced diagnostic imaging technology development.
The Department of Ophthalmology has an outstanding residency program, training six residents each year in a three year program. Graduates have gone on to clinical, research, and combined clinician-scientist careers. The department is at the forefront of continuing medical education and provides both ongoing and specialized educational opportunities. This year, in addition to our 18 residents, we trained retina, cornea, glaucoma, oculoplastic and pediatric ophthalmology fellows.
Innovative changes will steadily filter through to each area of service. In view of these accomplishments, I can safely say that I am very proud of the department, and I look forward to keeping you up to date on future progress.